Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Creative Writing Prompts with Swings



Now that summer has arrived, there are a lot of swings swinging in full motion.  I love swings.   I have many childhood memories from under the maple tree where a simple wooden swing kept my little sister and I entertained for hours.  In between my living room and entrance room hangs a blue hammock chair swing that brings joy and peace to my little boy.  I always longed for a porch swing, but instead I have two gliders outside in the garden where I can enjoy sweet moments with my family.  Before we begin our writing prompts today, please enjoy the poem "The Swing," by Robert Louis Stevenson.  You'll find your writing prompts below the poem. 

The Swing by Robert Louis Stevenson

How do you like to go up in a swing,
Up in the air so blue?
Oh, I do think it the pleasantest thing
Ever a child can do!

Up in the air and over the wall,
Till I can see so wide,
River and trees and cattle and all
Over the countryside-

Till I look down on the garden green,
Down on the roof so brown-
Up in the air I go flying again,
Up in the air and down!



Warm-up:  Before you begin your creative writing prompts, take a few moments to reflect on different swings from your life and make a list of all the memorable swings you have ever encountered and where they were. 

Creative Nonfiction Prompt:  Write a memory about a swing from your past.  Think about who you played with, what you might have worn as you played, and what feelings you had.  Write for as long as you'd like.

Poetry Prompt:  Write a poem about one of the swings from your list. 

Fiction Writing Prompt:  Look at the picture below and dream up two characters who are coming to this swing to have a conversation.  Write out their conversation as dialogue practice.  OR You can use two characters from a story or novel you have been working on. 



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this prompt! I first thought of a tire swing and now I have that image in my head. Love the prompts, by the way. I sometimes post prompts like this on my blog because I believe in them so much. I use writing activities with my students almost daily.

    -Miss GOP
    www.thewritingapprentice.com

    ReplyDelete

I only ask that all comments be polite and constructive.