Thursday, August 4, 2011

Creative Writing Prompts: Ice cream! Mine!

Ice cream! Mine! by Ollie Crafoord
Ice cream! Mine!, a photo by Ollie Crafoord on Flickr.
Here is a link to a poem by a high school student named Tara Morris. The poem is called, "I am a Mint Chocolate Chip." Please read it at this great website that offers a new poem every day. It is one of my favorites, "Your Daily Poem."

After you read it, take 5 minutes and write a list of all the objects that are a part of your life and define you. I love that Tara started with ice-cream. What is your favorite ice-cream? Pick objects, but also pick situational things. The fact that the bus is not just a bus, but a "missed bus," tells us a lot.

After you make your list, please write in either essay or poetry form using favorite images from your list.

PLEASE feel free to post part of what you write today. I would love to read it.

1 comment:

I only ask that all comments be polite and constructive.